Dr. Lara Devgan, MD, MPH, FACS
Dr. Lara Devgan is a board-certified, Yale-educated, Johns Hopkins Medical School-instructed, and Columbia/ New York Presbyterian Hospital-trained plastic & reconstructive surgeon. Her special interests are cosmetic surgery of the face and body, and reconstructive surgery for breast cancer, skin cancer, and facial injuries.
Dr. Devgan is an attending plastic surgeon at Lenox Hill Hospital, Greenwich Hospital, and Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Infirmary, where she teaches plastic surgery residents and fellows. She is a medical expert for ABC News, an editorial consultant for The Lancet, a nationally and internationally invited lecturer on surgical topics, and a consultant on plastic surgical issues for Gerson Lehrman Group, Guidepoint Global, and Medefield. She is fully licensed and credentialed in the practices of medicine and surgery in New York and Connecticut. She is a board-certified plastic surgeon and a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, having achieved board scores in the top 3% of all plastic surgeons nationwide. Dr. Devgan is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Dr. Devgan has been ranked "#1 female cosmetic surgeon" in New York by RateMDs, featured as a "Super Doctors Rising Star" plastic surgeon in The New York Times Magazine, listed in "America's Top Plastic Surgeons" by Consumers' Research Council, named the featured face specialist in Haute MD's "Nation's Best Plastic Surgeons," awarded the "Top Plastic Surgeon in New York" designation by HealthTap, recognized with the "Patients' Choice Award" by Vitals.com, granted the "Top Doctor" designation by RealSelf, and given the "Excellence in Customer Service Award" by Talk of the Town.
Dr. Devgan is the creator of Dr. Devgan Scientific Beauty, a luxury medical-grade skin care line. She lives with her husband and six children on Manhattan's Upper East Side.
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Active Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Nationally and internationally invited lecturer in plastic surgery
- Research and writing published in the New York Times and on ABC News
- Recipient of federal surgical research grant from National Institutes of Health
- Editorial consultancy board of The Lancet, one of the world's preeminent medical journals
- Medical expert for ABC News
- Featured expert plastic surgeon for The Doctors TV show, CBS, nationwide
- Peer reviewer for Aesthetic Surgery Journal, the official journal of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- Editorial board of Aesthetic Surgery and Medicine
- Advisory board, Physicians' Life, journal circulation 350,000 medical doctors
- Invited contributor for Healio Medical News
- Plastic surgeon member of the Healthcare Advisory Board, Medefield global healthcare consulting firm
- Council Member, Gerson Lehrman Group
- Advisor, Guidepoint Global
- Invited judge for resident and fellow abstract competition, Medical Society of the State of New York
- Contributor to Project ImpACT, a National Institutes of Health funded project at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Lectures and presentations at surgical conferences in New York, London, Toronto, Cairo, Montreal, Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, Washington DC, San Francisco, and Phoenix
- Original research featured in quality-controlled and peer-reviewed publications including Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Annals of Plastic Surgery, The Lancet, Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Annals of Surgical Oncology, Academic Medicine, American Journal of Medicine, Molecular Microbiology, Journal of Burns and Wounds, and American Journal of Surgery
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, M.D.
- Ranked #1 hospital in the nation for 21 consecutive years (US News & World Report)
- Winner of Henry Strong Denison Award for Medical Investigation
- Winner of Harry G. Salzstein Prize for Medical Writing
- Winner of travel grant for microsurgery rotation at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
- Winner of travel grant for craniofacial and immunodeficiency rotation at UCLA Children's Hospital
- Winner of Lancet & Global Forum for Health Research essay contest, Cairo, Egypt
- Invited to be the youngest Editorial Consultant ever appointed to the board of The Lancet medical journal, at the age of 27
- Winner of additional awards from the Arnold P. Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine, the American College of Physicians Medical Student Abstract Contest, and the DRADA Grant for neuroscience research
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, M.P.H.
- Ranked #1 public health graduate school in the world (US News & World Report)
- Concentration in Epidemiology & Biostatistics
- Winner of National Institutes of Health Fellowship
- Funded by the NIH's T32 Predoctoral Clinical Research Fellowship grant
Yale University, B.A.
- Major in English Language & Literature
- Departmental Honors & Distinction & Cum Laude
- Winner of Adams Cup trophy
- Winner of multiple Sudler Grants
- Winner of President's Public Service Fellowship
- Elected to the Elihu Society, an honor bestowed on 16 of 5,000 students at Yale
- Highest Honors, National Merit Finalist, Advanced Placement Scholar, President's Recognition for top 1% of SAT scorers nationwide
Columbia University Medical Center, General Surgery
- Ranked the #1 hospital in New York (US News & World Report)
- General Surgery Internship and Residency prerequisite training
- Training included general surgery, surgical oncology, abdominal surgery, vascular surgery, transplant surgery, trauma surgery, pediatric surgery, and thoracic surgery
- Winner of "Scientific Exhibit of Exceptional Merit" from the American College of Surgeons for research on surgical disease burden in the developing world
New York Presbyterian Hospital/ Columbia & Cornell, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
- Ranked the #1 hospital in New York (US News & World Report)
- Extensive work at some of the world’s most renowned hospitals: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Weill Cornell Medical Center, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Hospital for Special Surgery, Lenox Hill Hospital, The Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, the Burn Intensive Care Unit at Cornell, and the Division of Hand Surgery at the Columbia Department of Orthopedics
- Training included all aspects of complex cosmetic and reconstructive surgery
- Two-time finalist for Gaspar W. Anastasi Award from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Winner of best fracture reduction on an anatomic model of the skull among chief residents & fellows from AONA's "Principles of Operative Treatment of Craniomaxillofacial Trauma & Reconstruction"
DR. DEVGAN'S PHILOSOPHY
Dr. Devgan's philosophy is to to use the most advanced surgical techniques to achieve natural-looking results without obvious signs of surgery. Her focus is to provide the highest level of attention to detail combined with technical excellence, an artistic eye, and compassionate care.
Awards & Honors
- Ranked #1 female cosmetic surgeon in New York by Rate MDs
- "Super Doctors" Rising Stars in Plastic Surgery, New York Times Magazine, 2016
- "Super Doctors" Rising Stars in Plastic Surgery, New York Times Magazine, 2015
- "Super Doctors" Rising Stars in Plastic Surgery, New York Times Magazine, 2014
- America's Top Plastic Surgeons, Consumers' Research Council
- "40 under 40" for Fairfield County, Connecticut. Fairfield County Business Journal 2015
- RealSelf "Top Doctor"
- Patients' Choice Award, Vitals.com
- Nation's Best Plastic Surgeons, Featured Face Specialist for New York, Haute Living Magazine, 2013-2014
- "Top Plastic Surgeon in New York" Award, HealthTap Top Doctor Competition, Summer 2013
- Talk of the Town, Excellence in Customer Service Award, 4 star rating
- Elected as a plastic surgeon member of International Association of Healthcare Professionals
- Selected for Marquis Who's Who national professional status for work as a plastic surgeon
- Henry Strong Denison Award for Medical Investigation, 2003
- American College of Surgeons, Scientific Exhibit of Exceptional Merit, 2008
- Gaspar W. Anastasi Award, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, finalist, 2013
- Gaspar W. Anastasi Award, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, finalist, 2012
- Hippocrates Trophy, 2013
- Excavator Medal, Helping Hand Medal, Agreeable Medal, Miner Medal; HealthTap, 2013
- Harry G. Saltzstein Prize for Medical Writing, 2003
- The Lancet & Global Forum for Health Research Essay Contest, Cairo, Egypt, global winner, 2006
- Sudler Prize for the Arts, two-time winner. Yale University, 1998 & 1999
- Yale University Adams Cup, 1998
- Best fracture reconstruction on an anatomic model of the skull among chief residents & fellows, AONA “Principles of Operative Treatment of Craniomaxillofacial Trauma & Reconstruction,” Seacaucus, New Jersey, 2012
- American College of Physicians Student Abstract & Poster Contest, Baltimore, 2nd place, 2005
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Essay Contest, 2nd place, 2005
- President’s Public Service Fellowship. Yale University, 1998
Salim S; Lima MC; Paranhos A; Devgan L; Shields MB. Assessment of visual acuity with the use of latanaprost in pseudophakic and aphakic glaucoma patients. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. Mar 1999 40(4):833.
Lima MC; Paranhos A Jr; Salim S; Honkanen R; Devgan L; Wand M; Gaudio AR; Shields MB. Visually significant cystoid macular edema in pseudophakic and aphakic patients with glaucoma receiving latanoprost. J Glaucoma. Aug 2000; 9(4): 317-21.
Maggard M; Meng L; Ke B; Allen R; Devgan L; Imagawa DK. Antisense TGF-beta2 immunotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: treatment in a rat tumor model. Ann Surg Oncol. Jan 2001; 8(1): 32-7.
Fraser GM; Hirano T; Ferris HU; Devgan LL; Kihara M; Macnab RM. Substrate specificity of type III flageller protein export in Salmonella is controlled by subdomain interactions in FlhB. Mol Microbiol. May 2003; 48(4): 1043-57.
Devgan L; Gupta A; Sheth A; Bollinger R. Babesiosis-induced renal failure. Johns Hopkins Universtiy School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. American College of Physicians Abstract Guide, Baltimore, MD, May 2005.
Devgan L, Bhat S, Aylward S, Spence RJ. Modalities for the assessment of burn wound depth. Journal of Burns and Wounds, Volume 5, 2006. Available from URL http://www.journalofburnsandwounds.com.
Devgan L; Faustin C; Park BY; McFarland EG. Posterior dislocation in a voluntary subluxator: a case report. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Apr; 38(4): 613-7.
Devgan L. My Father’s Daughter. Academic Medicine 2006 Nov; 81(11): 998-9.
Sheth A, Devgan L, Gupta A, Bollinger R. The Travelling Farm Wife. Am J Med. 2007 Jan;120(1):16-8.
Singh V, Devgan L, Bhat S, Milner SM. The pathogenesis of burn wound conversion. Ann Plast Surg. 2007 Jul;59(1):109-15.
Awad MM, Devgan L, Kamel IR, Torbensen M, Choti MA. Microwave ablation in a hepatic porcine model: correlation of CT and histopathologic findings. HPB (Oxford). 2007;9(5):357-62.
Yermilov I, Chow W, Devgan L, Makary M, Ko CY. How to measure the quality of surgery-related web sites. Am Surg. 2008 Oct;74(10):997-1000.
Yermilov I, Chow W, Devgan L, Makary MA, Ko CY. What is the quality of surgery-related information on the internet? Lessons learned from a standardized evaluation of 10 common operations. J Am Coll Surg. 2008 Oct;207(4):580-6. Epub 2008 Jun 30.
Rodriguez ED, Bluebond-Langner R, Devgan L, Grant MP, Iliff N, Manson PN. Correction of the recalcitrant posttraumatic periorbital soft-tissue deformity: a novel microsurgical approach. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Jun;121(6):1978-81.
Makary MA, Segev DL, Pronovost PJ, Syin D, Bandeen-Roche K, Patel P, Takenaga R, Devgan L, Holzmueller CG, Tian J, Fried LP. Frailty as a predictor of surgical outcomes in older patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2010 Jun;210(6):901-8.
Devgan L, “Gastrointestinal Pathology and Pharmacology” chapter author. USMLERx Step 1 Online Test Bank. Edited by Le T, Klein J, Shivaram A, et al. Available from URL http://www.usmlerx.com. 2006.
Devgan L, “Gastrointestinal Pathology and Pharmacology” chapter author. USMLERx Step 1 Question Review. Edited by Le T, Klein J, Shivaram A, et al.
Essays & Journalistic Articles
Devgan L. The bricks and mortar of sustainable health. The Lancet. 2006; 368:1480. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69617-7. Available online at: http://www.thelancet.com/collections/essay_competition
Devgan L. My Father’s Daughter. Hopkins Medical News, Fall 2003: 41-3.
Devgan L, HIV & The Health Work Force: A review of current activities consistent with the World Health Organization’s “Treat, Train, Retain” Initiative. Background document for AIDS & Health Resources international consultation, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, May 11-12, 2006. WHO internal document.
Devgan L, Grant RT. International Expenditures on Aesthetic Surgery: Adjusting Revenue for GDP Per Capita PPP. American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons Meeting, New York, April 2013
Devgan L, Grant RT. International Expenditures on Aesthetic Surgery: Adjusting Revenue for GDP Per Capita PPP. American Society of Plastic Surgeons Senior Residents Meeting, Chicago, December 2012
Devgan Verdonck L, Chen E, Swistel A, Grant RT. Cancer reconstruction following prior augmentation mammaplasty: a novel technique for reconstruction using preexisting capsule. Accepted at American Society of Plastic Surgeons meeting, New Orleans, October 2012
Devgan Verdonck L, Chen E, Swistel A, Grant RT. Cancer reconstruction following prior augmentation mammaplasty: a novel technique for reconstruction using preexisting capsule. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgery meeting, Boston, September 2012
Devgan Verdonck L, Cohen O, Borhanian K, Swistel A, Talmor M. Preservation of internal mammary perforators in nipple sparing breast reconstruction: a novel technique for improving nipple areolar complex viability. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgery meeting, Boston, September 2012.
Devgan Verdonck L, Sherman, JE, Jugenberg, M. Complications in Buttock Augmentation- Finalist for Gaspar W. Anastasi Award, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Meeting, Toronto, May 2012.
Sherman, JE, Jugenberg, M, Devgan Verdonck L. Complications in Buttock Augmentation- The Cutting Edge Aesthetic Surgery Symposium 2011 Baker-Aston meeting. New York, NY, 12/3/11.
Devgan Verdonck L. Plastic Surgery for the Primary Care Physician. 29th Annual American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) Convention, New York, NY, 6/22/11
Devgan L and Grant RT. Is Plastic Surgery a Luxury Good? An Economic Analysis of Income Elasticity of Demand for Commonly Performed Plastic Surgery Procedures. Presented at the 27th Annual Meeting Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. Washington, DC 10/30/10
Devgan L and Grant RT. Is Plastic Surgery a Luxury Good? An Economic Analysis of Income Elasticity of Demand for Commonly Performed Plastic Surgery Procedures. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Toronto, Canada 10/4/10
Devgan L, Morbid Scars: Diagnosis and Treatment of Keloids & Hypertrophic Scars, Columbia University Department of Surgery, 2010
Devgan L, Powe N, Blakey B, Makary M. Wiki-Surgery: The Internal Validity of Wikipedia® as a Medical and Surgical Reference. Oral presentation at American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, New Orleans, LA, October 2007.
Devgan L, Majure D, Makary M, Powe N. Surgical Need in Resource-Poor Nations: Quantifying Burden of Disease and Investment Priorities. Oral presentation at American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, San Francisco, CA, October 2008.
Bhat S, Devgan L, Milner SA. The pathogenesis of burn wound conversion. Poster presentation. The Wound Healing Society 16th Annual Meeting & Exhibition, Scottsdale, Arizona, May 14-17, 2006.
Devgan L, Powe N, Makary M. Is surgery a luxury good? An economic analysis of income elasticity of demand for commonly performed surgical procedures. Oral presentation at Union of Risk Management 2nd American Congress in Montreal, 2007.
Devgan L, Waters H, Pronovost PJ, Makery MA. A cost analysis of intra-operative x-ray screening for retained surgical foreign bodies. Oral presentation at the Association of Academic Surgery 2nd annual meeting, Phoenix, Arizona in February 2007.
Devgan L, Makary M. Measuring a Surgical Vital Statistic, background document for World Health Organization Second Global Patient Challenge: Safe Surgery Saves Lives, Oral and written presentation, London, UK, March 2007.