A great dermal filler treatment hinges on your provider's technique, but it is also important to understand how to best take care of yourself after a Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, Belotero, or other filler treatment. These are the instructions I give to the patients in my New York City practice after a filler treatment.
1. TIMING: It takes 2-3 weeks for full results of dermal fillers to become apparent. Please be patient. Not only are swelling and bruising common after treatment, but dermal filler takes time to rehydrate and attract water molecules to create a soft, natural result.
2. DURATION: Dermal fillers typically last anywhere between 6 months and 2 years. The duration of effect depends on the type of dermal filler used, where on your face it was injected, how expressive your face is, and your metabolic rate. After repeated use of dermal fillers, many of our patients find that they have nice results that lasts even longer than expected because hyaluronic acid (collagen) based dermal fillers stimulate your body’s own collagen supply.
3. POSITION: The night of your treatment, sleep with your head elevated on 2 pillows, lying on your back if possible. Do not rub or massage the treated areas after your treatment unless Dr. Devgan has instructed you to do so.
4. EXERCISE: Do not perform strenuous exercise on the day of your treatment. You can resume all normal activities the next day. Avoid facials or saunas for 4 hours after your treatment. Feel free to shower and go about most other regular daily activities.
5. SWELLING/ BRUISING: Any tiny bumps or needle marks will go away within a few hours. Bruises or residual marks are common and may be covered with makeup, but please wait for 2 hours and use a gentle touch to avoid rubbing the treated area. Please know that Dr. Devgan takes great care to ensure meticulous symmetry with microdroplet injection. Even still, it is common for temporary bruising and swelling to appear asymmetric in the initial period after injection. This is temporary and will go away on its own.
6. ICE: Use of ice or over the counter hydrocortisone 1% cream will reduce the risk of bruising and swelling. Icing is recommended immediately following treatment and for the first 2 days after treatment.
7. PRESCRIPTION ANTI-INFLAMMATORY MEDICATION: If you feel that you have severe swelling, or if you have a special event coming up and are anxious for your swelling to go away, you may be a candidate for Dr. Devgan to prescribe you a Medrol dose-pack, a prescription 6-7 days series of pills that quickly brings down swelling in the face and body. Please ask Dr. Devgan or call our office if you are interested in learning more about this.
8. ALCOHOL/ BLOOD THINNERS: Drinking excessive alcohol within 2 days of treatment, or using blood thinners such as Advil and Aspirin can increase your risk of bruising.
9. COLD SORES: If you have had cold sores or oral herpetic infection in the past, any treatment to your face can trigger reactivation. We recommend taking an antiviral medication such as Valacylovir in advance of your treatment and for several days afterward to reduce this risk. If this applies to you, please discuss with Dr. Devgan.
10. FOLLOW UP: Please schedule your follow up visit for 6-12 months from today to ensure best results of long-term facial rejuvenation. You may schedule your follow up visit in person, via email, or over the phone. If you allow your dermal fillers to completely wear off, it is more difficult for Dr. Devgan to evaluate how your individual facial features reacted to your prior treatment.
11. QUESTIONS: Please feel free to call us at 212-452-2400 or email us at office@LaraDevganMD.com with any questions or to schedule your follow up appointment.