I recently had the pleasure of doing a photoshoot for Eljay Aguilo, a New York City street photographer and creator of the Why I Love New York City project (blog, book, Instagram, and social phenomenon). Eljay, also known as @Misterhattan, is one of the most passionate and talented photographers of his generation, and has over 70,000 followers, fans, and friends of his work on various forms of social media for @WhyILoveNewYorkCity.
Not only was I thrilled to have the opportunity to participate in Eljay's wonderful project, but it also gave me a moment to consider all the things I love about New York City. Although I am a Southern California native, New York is my adult home, and I've grown incredibly fond of it over time.
My interview with Why I Love New York City is here:
(@NYPlasticSurgeon on Instagram) I moved to the City to become a surgeon. I spent six years working 100 hour weeks in sterile operating rooms and crowded surgery clinics at Columbia and Cornell. I lived in fluorescent-lit hospital hallways and barely saw the light of day. While most of the city slept, I purchased meals from vending machines.
Years have since passed, and I love New York more than ever. Here is where I met my wonderful husband, had my three (soon, four) sons, and built a busy Upper East Side plastic surgery practice.
One of my favorite places in the city is Café Boulud. It’s delicious and equally perfect for a milestone celebration or an impromptu night out. But no matter how times I sample their scrumptious truffle pasta or perfectly prepared cappuccino, a little part of me will never forget the 2am vending machine granola bars that fueled my journey. (For more information about Dr. Lara Devgan, CLICK HERE)
10 Places I Love in New York City
1. Gramercy Park, where I met my husband
2. New York Presbyterian Hospital, where my three sons were born
3. Cafe Boulud, where I love to have a celebratory dinner or a casual night out
4. The Guggenheim Museum, where I am on the Acquisitions Committee of the Young Collectors Council and help choose which works of art the museum will purchase
5. Central Park, where my husband and I got engaged, and where we take our sons to play on weekends
6. Carnegie Hall, where I enjoy listening to classical music
7. Sant Ambroeus, where I have lunch almost once a week
8. My state of the art office, where I see patients, operate, and am lucky enough to do what I love every day
9. The Frick Collection, where I steal away on Wednesday evenings whenever I can to sketch the gorgeous artwork and architecture
10. Park Avenue, my favorite street for a weekend stroll with my family