The latest trend in breast augmentation in New York City is the use of small volume breast implants (less than 300cc). Although some patients favor larger implants, many Manhattanites prefer sizes that are more discreet.
Small volume or "mini breast augmentation" allows for a more natural, yet still full and feminine, result. Women choose small volume breast augmentation when they want a boost in size and contour, but they don't want their breast augmentation to be immediately obvious.
Although many factors play a role in choosing the correct implant size, these are some general rules of thumb to consider:
- In many women, a volume of 250cc correlates with approximately one cup size.
- Placing implants "under the muscle" (or in the "dual plane") makes them appear about 50cc smaller
- If you have a wide chest build (broad frame), you will need a larger volume to accomplish the same size increase. The opposite is true for those with narrow frames.
- If you have very loose or floppy tissues (frequently seen after childbearing, breast feeding, and weight changes), your tissue may be able to accomodate a larger volume.
- Using a small volume silicone breast implant means a smaller scar.