There are a lot of beautiful things about the peripartum period. The radiant glow of pregnancy. The full, youthful face. The silky progesterone-enhanced hair. The romantic image of a baby at your breast. In fact, a lot of women regard the process of gestation, birth, and nursing as one of the most beautiful times in their lives.
Unfortunately, many of the best beauty products are not safe for pregnant or lactating women.
These products have either not been studied enough to state that they are safe, or they have side effects that can harmfully effect a developing or nursing baby.
Here is what to avoid:
6. Steroid cream
7. Hair dyes, particularly ones with black or brown pigment
There are a number of pregnancy and nursing-safe beauty products that can help you feel and look your best, even at these special baby-focused times of your life, however. When you are on hiatus from your normal beauty product routine, consider some of the other, safer ways to make yourself look and feel your best.
Here is what you can use and do instead:
1. Use a gentle, hypoallergenic lotion
2. Wear zinc or titanium based sunscreen whenever you are outdoors
3. Get adequate sleep
4. Wear compression stockings
5. Stay well hydrated
6. Consider staying on your prenatal vitamin even during the postnatal period, to help with your overall nutritional status, and hair and nail health
7. Exercise in ways that your doctor has deemed safe for you
And most importantly, enjoy this special time in your life!